It’s important that you understand the components that make up your roof so that you can recognize problems should they arise. You should also be aware of warning signs that your roof needs repair.
This picture shows the components that make up your roof.
- Flashings Protect areas vulnerable to leaks: skylights, vents, chimneys, etc.
- Roofing Cement Ideal to hand tab shingles and also to waterproof effectively around areas vulnerable to leaks.
- Ventilation The building code requires all roof structures be provided with proper ventilation.
- Valley Treatment Stops damage due to snow and ice build-up.
- Edge Treatment For efficient water shedding at the roof’s edge.
- Eaves Protector Waterproofing membrane provides necessary protection against winter freeze/thaw cycles.
- Underlayment Sheds water that may be driven under the shingles by high winds.
- Shingles Determine the ultimate longevity of the roof.
The following warning signs indicate that your roof needs immediate attention. If you know or suspect you may have any of them, request a free quote today.
Distressed Asphalt – Asphalt shingles lose their granules over the years. Visible signs of distressed asphalt shingles in need of replacement are pieces of torn shingles, curled tab corners, and centerline cracks. If your shingles display any of these signs, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Aged Cedar – In Alberta’s dry climate, cedar shakes tend to split, crack, and fall apart much sooner than they should.
Blocked Soffit – Blocked soffits can cause moisture, condensation and potentially toxic mold in your attic. If you think you may have a blocked soffit, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Condensation Damage – Condensation can cause a lot of damage to your roof and your attic. If left untreated, it can damage your home’s interior. If you think your roof may have a condensation problem, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Dead Valley – A dead valley will cause a leaky roof, water stains on your ceiling, and/or considerable ice build up. If you suspect you have a dead valley, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Ice Damming – Ice damming is usually caused by improper insulation or soffit ventilation, which causes snow to melt above the heated living space and freeze as it reaches an unheated area of the roof. It can also be caused by a blocked soffit. If you think you may have ice damming, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Ice Damming – Ice damming can cause significant damage to your roof. If you suspect you have ice damming, contact Bricor Roofing today!
Ice Damming – Ice damming presents as excessive ice buildup around the edges of your roof. From your attic, you may be able to see light coming in at the outer edge of your roof.